Re: Node Down/Node Up events

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Re: Node Down/Node Up events
From: Szymon Trocha <Szymon.Trocha@man.poznan.pl>
Date: Fri, 15 Jun 2001 14:08:23 +0200
Thx James. Of course it was NetView V4R1 for AIX (according to "Help"). I
know it's rather old one. I did what you advised and it worked.
Now I try to correlate NodeDown/Up events. I know that this topic has been
raised many times on this list but I didn't find a solution for my problem.
I'd like to see NodeDown event and alarm generated provided more than 5 min
has passed since NV discovered the node was down. If there will be NodeUp
event in some time (separated more than 5 min) I want to see it too. In the
other way if there is an event from the same node separated by less then 5
min I don't want to see them both and have generated any alarms.

And the last question: Is there any possibility for changing the way the
data is displayed in the Event window. I mean - can I choose a range of
attributes displayed?

Regards and thanks for any advice.
Szymon

At 11:05 AM 6/6/01 -0400, you wrote:

>Are you serious?
>You bring up the NetView GUI and click on "Help" and then "On Version" (or
>whatever) and it tells you that you have Version 4.0?
>I thought that the first level of V4 was 4.1.1,  but I could be wrong
>because that was the first version I worked with when I joined the team in
>1996.
>If your assessment is accurate, then your code has been out of support for
>at least 5 years.  NetView Version 4.1.2, the last level of NetView Version
>4,  went of out of support the end of November 1998.
>
>But to answer your first question, you should be setting the ping schedule
>by using xnmsnmpconf.  Just type that in or do it from the GUI using
>Options --> SNMP Configuration to bring it up.    What you set here is how
>frequently netmon pings the devices.  This is done a regular, cyclical
>basis and is not done more frequently after a "Node Down" unless things
>have changed dramatically since the level of code you have.  t is hard to
>tell.
>
>More than likely the reason that you get frequent "Node Down" - "Node Up"
>event for the same node is that the time-outs for your polling intervals
>are too short.  If you adjust these then you may not have to build filters
>or rulesets to alter your event window.  But you can alter what you see in
>the window with a filter based on Thresholds.  I'd leave that until you try
>adjusting the polling intervals first.
>

>James Shanks
>Team Leader, Level 3 Support
> Tivoli NetView for UNIX and NT
>

>Szymon Trocha <Szymon.Trocha@man.poznan.pl>@tkg.com on 06/06/2001 10:26:16
>AM
>
>Please respond to IBM NetView Discussion <nv-l@tkg.com>
>
>Sent by:  owner-nv-l@tkg.com
>

>To:   nv-l@tkg.com
>cc:
>Subject:  [NV-L] Node Down/Node Up events
>

>Hi,
>
>I have two simple questions:
>- How to set the number of pings after which NV generates NodeDown event?
>- How can I avoid receiving consecutive Node Down and Node Up events in my
>main "Events" window within a small amount of time? I would like to have
>generated one Node Down event and then one Node Up if there was for
>instance 5 consecutive down/up events from the same node within the last 5
>minutes. Should I use filters?
>
>I have NV4.0
>
>Best regards,

Szymon Trocha

POZNAN SUPERCOMPUTING & NETWORKING CENTER
Tel. (+48 61) 8582022
http://noc.man.poznan.pl