Re: Node Down/Node Up events

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Re: Node Down/Node Up events
From: James_Shanks@tivoli.com
Date: Fri, 15 Jun 2001 10:59:45 -0400
Sorry, for the second append, but apparently some of my capital lettelrs
weren't typed correctly
Here's a corrected version.

Well, you can try building a ruleset and see if it will give you what you
want, but I don't see exactly how to give you all of it.

Start with an Event Stream which has BLOCK as the default action.  You can
use a Node Down connected to a Reset-On-Match, with a time out of 5
minutes, connected to a Forward and  the #2 side of  the Reset is your Node
Up, matching on attribute 2 (the hostname).  Then only those Node Down's
which don't get matched within 5 minutes will go to the window.  But the
Node Ups will not go at all unless you explicitly connect them to the
Forward.  But then you will get all Node Ups regardless of whether they
were used in a match or not.  There is no getting around that so far as I
can see.

I don't understand what you are asking about attributes in the Events
window.  Almost everything you see there is customizable.  You use xnmtrap
to configure the Log Message in trapd.conf to change what you see.  The man
page on trapd.conf will explain what all the variables such as $A, $C, and
$1 - $50 mean and how to use them to display whatever parts of the trap you
want.   This is all explained in the Administrator's Guide, too.

If you are going to stay at Version 4, I recommend highly that you obtain
the redbook, "Examples of Using NetView for AIX Version 4, SG24-4515-00,
from the IBM website, http://www.redbooks.ibm.com.  It has more examples of
rulesets and a bunch more things you might be interested in doing to
exploit the product more fully.

James Shanks
Team Leader, Level 3 Support
 Tivoli NetView for UNIX and NT