RE: authentication failure trap

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: RE: authentication failure trap
From: "O'Neill, Dermott" <ONeillD@aetna.com>
Date: Wed, 13 Jun 2001 14:03:41 -0400
Hey Ray,

Try formatting the trap as follows:
Cisco_Auth_Failure {1.3.6.1.4.1.9} 4 0 A 2 0 "Status Events"
Cisco Incorrect Community Name (authenticationFailure Trap) authAddr: $1

This should show the address of the box that caused the authentication
failure
on the Cisco router - only cisco though, I dont think other vendors have
populated
the trap with this varbind.

If it is a cisco box you could also loop thru all the routers in your
collection/Smart set  to see who caused previous authentication failures
just as an fyi,
since they may be the culprits causing authentication failures against other
boxes that dont report the failures.
The authAddr is a cisco local variable,
snmpwalk  cisco_box 1.3.6.1.4.1.9.2.1.5.
yielding:
cisco.local.lsystem.authAddr.0 : IpAddress:     10.10.8.39

Good Luck,
--Dermott