authentication failure trap

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: authentication failure trap
From: "Westphal, Raymond" <RWestphal@erac.com>
Date: Wed, 13 Jun 2001 11:15:55 -0500
Hello Everyone.

Managing NetView for UNIX 6.0.2 on AIX 4.3.3.

My trapd.log shows numerous authentication failure traps from Cisco switches
and routers. I have verified that NetView is the source in many cases. As
soon as I demand poll the device, the trap is generated. xnmsnmpconf
-resolve did show the proper configuration in NetView. The default
configuration for read and write community strings was correct for these
devices; it did apply to these devices. However, the authentication failure
traps did not stop until I deleted the entry from ovsnmp configuration
database with the xnmsnmpconf -delete command.

So here are my questions:
Does the ovsnmp database contain single entries for a device or does it
contain multiple entries? In other words, is there an entry in the database
for the short name, another entry for the fully qualified domain name, and a
third or more entries for the IP address(es)?

I have one router that continues to generate authentication failure traps. I
cannot use debug on the router to determine the source of the snmp query of
the router. Can I use the trapd -T trace command to determine who is doing
the query? If I need the hexadecimal trace (-x option) - can you tell me how
to decode the packet?

Thanks.

Ray Westphal
Enterprise Rent-A-Car