Re: cisco - router/switch configs and syslogs

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Re: cisco - router/switch configs and syslogs
From: Jorge Jiles <Jorge.Jiles@ualberta.ca>
Date: Wed, 13 Jun 2001 12:21:33 -0600
At 09:42 PM 6/11/2001 -0400, you wrote:
>Jorge, how many syslogs are you managing with your CiscoWorks?
We are only looking at our main backbone devices (7500's, Cat 6509's,
LS1010's and some Cat 5000's) in total no more than 50 devices. Everything
goes to one main syslog file, I keep stuff around this file for up to seven
days for processing only, the info is still around, but gets move to a .old
file and later compress in a monthly basis.

>Did you have to have all of the devices in the CiscoWorks database?
You have to define a device view with all the devices you are interested in.

>Performance limitations? How about compared to your homegrown?
No, no performance limitation found so far, the reporting and filtering
capabilities of CW2K is very good, it also provides an automatic action
field to execute your own scripts, very useful to customize your reporting.
I'm running CW2K in an ultra 10 with 1G of RAM.