Re: ovtopmd exit 255 other reason then Tivoli environment ?

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Re: ovtopmd exit 255 other reason then Tivoli environment ?
From: "James Shanks" <SHANKS@us.tivoli.com>
Date: Mon, 25 Jun 2001 07:34:01 -0400
The 255 return code is the shell interpreting the negative one return code
from AIX, which means that some library or other could not loaded, usually
because it could not be found.  It is possible, but not very likely, that
some library other than the Tivoli one needed for RIM has been removed from
your standard library path.  If you ovstart the daemons and ovtopmd does
not start like this, then you can just run him from the command line as
"/usr/OV/bin/ovtopmd" and an error message indicating what library is
missing should be returned to standard out.
I believe this is the standard procedure recommended in the Diagnosis
Guide.

If you have daemon problems, the recommended procedure would be to try to
start them one at a time, starting with nvsecd.  The error message you got
is one which would occur at startup time, and might be due to having an old
copy of nvsecd still running.  You should be doing "ps -ef | grep /usr/OV"
between your ovstop and ovstart when you have problems in order to
guarantee that there are no old, hung processes preventing start up.  If
everything has been brought down with ovstop, then only the nettl process
should still be there.  Anything else should be killed.

James Shanks
Team Leader, Level 3 Support
Tivoli NetView for UNIX and NT

BAUDOUX BERNARD <bernard.baudoux@fortisbank.com>@tkg.com on 06/25/2001