Re: Is it possible to forward SNMP Traps to More than One TEC ???

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Re: Is it possible to forward SNMP Traps to More than One TEC ???
From: "James Shanks" <shanks@us.tivoli.com>
Date: Sat, 28 Jul 2001 11:53:46 -0400
Nice clarification, Todd.

James Shanks
Team Leader, Level 3 Support
Tivoli NetView for UNIX and NT

netview@toddh.net (Todd H.)@tkg.com on 07/28/2001 12:09:17 AM

Sent by:  owner-nv-l@tkg.com

To:   IBM NetView Discussion <nv-l@tkg.com>
cc:
Subject:  Re: [NV-L] Is it possible to forward SNMP Traps to More than One
      TEC ???

As a fellow Netview newbie, I'll give the same answer as Guru James
but perhaps in simpler terms.  :-)

Yes, you can do what you propose.

As James said, you can only forward to one TEC using the Forward node
in the ruleset.  All rule branches that define what you want to send
to TEC "a" would end with Forward nodes.

The rules by which you would send event to TEC "b" would end in Action
nodes.  Your action nodes would call a script that would run a
postemsg command (or wpostemsg if the node happens to be a Tivoli
managed node) to send the event to TEC "b."  You may even be able to
run the postemsg command directly from the action node, I'm not sure.

You could even have alerts that get sent to both TEC's.  In that case
you would use an Inline Action node in the ruleset to send the node to
TEC "b" and then follow the inline action with the Forward node which
would send it also to TEC "a."