RE: Upgrade from 6.0 to 6.01 Tivoli desktop fails to start

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: RE: Upgrade from 6.0 to 6.01 Tivoli desktop fails to start
From: "Leslie Clark" <lclark@us.ibm.com>
Date: Mon, 3 Sep 2001 11:23:57 -0400
Check the permissions on your /etc/hosts file. When the desktop fails
to start for me, that is what is usually wrong. Tivoli needs read access
for all, or some such. Or at least for 'nobody'.

Detroit

                    "Sabirali Sama"

                    <sabirali.sama@elyz       To:     "'IBM NetView
Discussion'"
                    ium.co.uk>                 <nv-l@tkg.com>

                    Sent by:                  cc:

                    owner-nv-l@tkg.com        Subject:     RE: [NV-L] Upgrade
from 6.0 to 6.01
                                               Tivoli desktop fails to start

                    09/03/01 08:33 AM

                    Please respond to

                    IBM NetView

                    Discussion

Hi Jane,

Tivoli Environment variables are sourced and there is no error as such what
happens is that the desktop banner comes up and then disappears. The
strange thing is that oserv is running and issuing the odadmin odlist
indicates that the oserv dispatcher to be up and running on the TMR.

Yes wpatch does not seem to patch up NetView, and yes the TMR Server is
also the system where NetView is installed. Ideally I would have created a
managed node and then installed NetView on the managed node but
nevertheless this is strange.

Many thanks,
Sabi