Re: Demand poll times out, but SNMP walk works.

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Re: Demand poll times out, but SNMP walk works.
From: Darren_Tucker@advantra.com.au
Date: Fri, 7 Sep 2001 09:57:43 +1000

> We are using 6.01 and have one router that has an SNMP timeout on the
> demand poll.
> When I do an SNMP walk on the hostname and for all IP address everything
is
> OK.

We've had similar problems.

For some of the routers, we were given the IP address of the WAN interfaces
which we discovered them by (using a seedfile). Later, the WAN interfaces
were replaced with IP unnumbered interfaces, NetView kept sending
configuration polls to the now-gone WAN ip address, so never discovered
that it changed.

We resolved it by ensuring that the IP address in the hosts file was a
valid one (in our case, the ethernet) then running xnmsnmpconf -clearCache
then nmdemandpoll.

The other thing that might be causing it is there's a bug in 6.0.1 that
stops wildcarded community strings from being processed sometimes. You
could be sending out requests with "public" and not know it.