Re: Demand poll times out, but SNMP walk works.

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Re: Demand poll times out, but SNMP walk works.
From: "Oliver Bruchhaeuser" <oliver.bruchhaeuser@de.ibm.com>
Date: Fri, 7 Sep 2001 08:20:21 +0200
Brad,

there are two known problems for this in NV 6.0.1:

IY12975: IPADDRESSES IN SNMPCONFIGURATION GUI WILL NOT DEMANDPOLL
IY13966: NETMON FAILS TO GET OVSNMP.CONF INFO VIA IP WILDCARDS

So if you have the ip address of the host under "Specific Nodes"
in the SNMP configuration or the ip address is contained in
an ip address wildcard the demandpoll will use the "Global Default"
community.
For the first case the workaround is to use the hostname instead
of the ip address.
But for both cases it is the best to upgrade to NV 6.0.2.

Kind regards
Oliver Bruchhaeuser

                    "Brad Martin"

                    <bmartin@METLI       To:     "IBM NetView Discussion"
<nv-l@tkg.com>
                    FE.COM>              cc:

                    Sent by:             Subject:     [NV-L] Demand poll times
out, but SNMP walk works.
                    owner-nv-l@tkg

                    .com

                    06.09.2001

                    21:32

                    Please respond

                    to IBM NetView

                    Discussion

We are using 6.01 and have one router that has an SNMP timeout on the
demand poll.

When I do an SNMP walk on the hostname and for all IP address everything is
OK.
When I do an xnmsnmpconf -resolve hostname / IP address  --- > I get the
correct community string & IP addresses.
When I to a TEST --> IP/TCP/SNMP  the results are OK

I've tried doing an xnmsnmpconf -delete hostname & IP address with
xnmsnmpconf -clearCache.

Any ideas as to why the demand poll would timeout?

Brad Martin
MetLife