RE: RE: Demand poll times out, but SNMP walk works.

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: RE: RE: Demand poll times out, but SNMP walk works.
From: "Barr, Scott" <Scott_Barr@csgsystems.com>
Date: Mon, 10 Sep 2001 10:59:47 -0500
PMR 83520 - SNMP Status Polls fail

Here is the verbage reposted for anyone looking at a similar problem

*** T1S2R3V4
*** Electronic creation by customer via Tivoli Customer Support Web Site
*** Please contact customer by Electronic
***
*** Userid: bars02
*** Email Address: scott_barr@csgsystems.com
*** Fax Number: 402-431-7413
*** 24 Hour Phone Number:
***
Problem Details
.
Abstract:
TivWeb: SNMP Status Polls fail
.
System Type: Sun
System Model: Ultra 10
Other related devices:
.
Operating System: Solaris 2.3+
Product Group: NetView for UNIX
Fileset or Version: v6.02
.
Environment:
.
Problem Description:
It appears that we are having a problem with status polls using SNMP to
certain devices in our network. To trouble shoot this, I started a snoop
on the NetView server and waited for the failure to occur. At that point
I stopped the snoop and after reviewing the file, I do not see the
status polls being sent to the router.
I have provided Paul Stroud with documentation on the ftp server:
/support/incoming/pstroud.tar.Z
/support/incoming/pstroud2.tar.Z
These files contain ovtopodump, ovobjprint, xnmsnmpconf, netmon.trace
and the snoop files.
Action Taken:  Sending to incoming product queue.
AM0906TIV
Action Taken:
Got data from ftp site and spoke with Customer Rep. I have found that in
the netmon.trace we are sending the SNMP request to a different
interface on the device than is listed in the SNMP ADDRESS in topodump.
The particular interface we are sending the SNMP request to is an HSRP
interface on an isolated subnet.
.
Action Plan:
Research further.
Action Taken:
Synopsis:
CC has three routers that occasionally show an incorrect down status on
the router. Tracing information for one of these routers is on
dfs/org/ts/netview/sep01/pmr83520bbre. The netmon.trace.relevant is a
grep'd file from the netmon with all the interfaces from the device in
question. The device is csg-ospc2.csgsystems.com. I have found that the
STATUS snmp requests are going to an interface on the router that is
isolated(no traffic from the netview side is routed to that subnet or
interface). Passing to the backend for further analysis
.
Action Plan:
Passing to the backend