RE: Demand poll times out, but SNMP walk works.

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: RE: Demand poll times out, but SNMP walk works.
From: William.Stringfellow@bankofamerica.com
Date: Mon, 10 Sep 2001 08:17:53 -0700

Scott,
     Please tell us what the title line of your PMR is so that we can keep
abreast of what support finds to be the problem.

          Thanks,
          Bill

Date:      Fri, 7 Sep 2001 07:57:49 -0500
From:      "Barr, Scott" <Scott_Barr@csgsystems.com>

We have a problem open with support for SNMP status polls that fail because
*some* of the SNMP requests are flowing to the wrong interface. For
instance, we have 3 routers in our network that get marked down and the next
status poll marks them back up.

After exhaustive troubleshooting, we found that the packets were being
directed to an interface that was not routable from the NetView server. We
use a loop back interface in each router and the SNMP requests were flowing
to an address in a subnet that NetView could not reach. On the surface it
looked like NetView was not sending the packets at all but we finally found
the packets were going out just to the wrong address.

I would set up a sniffer/snoop and try and catch the SNMP activity. You may
be having this problem too.