RE: DPU Nodes reported Down/Up by Netmon

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: RE: DPU Nodes reported Down/Up by Netmon
From: "Leslie Clark" <lclark@us.ibm.com>
Date: Fri, 14 Sep 2001 09:06:05 -0400
Are the events faster than your polling cycle (eg 5 minutes)?
If the up/down events are coming faster than your polling cycle then
there are two possibilities:
1) They are sending traps (link up, link down) and Netview is reacting to
them,
and frequently catching them in an actual down state. Not likely, but
possible
2) Router Fault Isolator is running, and misbehaving due to the nature of
you
network. Perhaps there is a route to that subnet that Netview cannot see.
In
that case, you can turn off RFI by adding '-K 0' as a parameter in the
netmon.lrf file. The procedure is described in the 6.0.1 release notes.

If the events are the same frequency as your polling cycle, eg 5 minutes
apart, then it is either a timeout, or it has to do with the difference
between
status via ping or status via snmpget. If these devices are not snmp
capable,
be sure you are not polling them via SNMP. For instance, if you entered
them in the seedfile with $, or put a P in the oid_to_type file for them,
then
the demandpoll (or regular netmon poll) will turn them red, but a
test...ping will
turn them green.

I know none of this sounds exactly like your situation, from the infomation
you have given us, but perhaps these clues will help you figure out what
is going on.

Detroit

                    z_esm_karekars

                    <z_esm_karekars@bharatpetr       To:     "'IBM NetView
Discussion'" <nv-l@tkg.com>
                    oleum.com>                       cc:

                    Sent by:                         Subject:     RE: [NV-L]
DPU Nodes reported Down/Up
                    owner-nv-l@tkg.com                by Netmon

                    09/14/01 07:56 AM

                    Please respond to IBM

                    NetView Discussion

Hi,

I tried setting the SNMP polling interval and timeout as high as possible
but still trapd.log gets updated with Netmon events for these DPU's at very
fast Down/Up events. Where else could be the problem.

Regards,
Santosh