RE: Gentle scolding

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: RE: Gentle scolding
From: "Barr, Scott" <Scott_Barr@csgsystems.com>
Date: Thu, 27 Sep 2001 12:27:49 -0500
One other point I might make is that the model for delivering upgrades has
changed since the early-mid 90s. It used to be that you downloaded fix after
fix after fix (PTF/APAR process).

Now, IBM in general, does periodic releases of fixes (i.e. new release). To
me, this means there is already a built in cushion of time between the fix
being developed for a particular user, and the fix being rolled into a
maintenance release. This is fundamentally different from the old days when
you would get on IBMLINK and find out which fix(es) you needed and had a
"cume" tape built (does my mainframe heritage show through?)

So, while in the past I would have sided with folks about waiting until a
fix has been available for a while before jumping in with both feet, I think
that situation is significantly reduced nowadays.

In addition, just to play devil's advocate here, I recommend patching as
soon as fixes are available. I have even sent documentation to Tivoli
support to demonstrate how my system was adversely affected by a bug, that a
fix was already coded for. Because it hadn't been rolled into a periodic
update already, and because Tivoli does not provide interim fixes (unless
you demonstrate you have the issue) you are subject to the risk of
unnecessary failures. I would suggest that this in itself, is a greater risk
than applying a fix as soon as its available.