Re: snmp setup (traps, mib files, snmpv1/v2, mib2trap)

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Re: snmp setup (traps, mib files, snmpv1/v2, mib2trap)
From: netview@toddh.net (Todd H.)
Date: 05 Oct 2001 17:20:37 -0500
Daniel Lehman <dlehman@hurricanetechgroup.com> writes:
> Hello All,
>
> I am having a  little issue, i loaded the required mib in to Netview
> 6.02 on NT.  I am able to use the MIB Browser and walk through the
> tree succesfully.

This confused me too when I was getting started.  Loading MIB files in
Netview basically just feeds the MIB variable browser for pollable
element--it does nothing to define traps.

Traps are defined in Netview via the addtrap command (for which there
is a man page) which essentially loads the definitions into
/usr/OV/conf/trapd.conf  (at least on UNIX it does).

mib2trap is (rather limited) script for generating some addtrap
commands from a set of MIB files.  First, you will need a fairly
complete set of mib files that define things all the way up the OID
tree for mib2trap to make sense of things. In addition, mib2trap
doesn't seem to understand SMIv2 (aka SNMPv2 style files) so you will
need SMIv1 versions of all the MIB files if you even wish to try
mib2trap.

If you're unsure what type your MIB files are, SMIv2 files define
traps using a NOTIFICATION-TYPE keyword while SMIv1 files use the
keyword TRAP-TYPE.  If you see NOTIFICATION-TYPE in your mib files, I
don't think mib2trap can help you.  Note also, that if your devices
send snmpv2c traps, avoid using a NetView Mid-level Manager (MLM)--it
doesn't seem to forward snmpv2c traps.  You'll have to send snmpv2c
traps directly to the NetView server.

All my comments refer to the UNIX version--I'm not sure how many
differences the NT version has in this regard.