Re: snmp setup (traps, mib files, snmpv1/v2, mib2trap)

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Re: snmp setup (traps, mib files, snmpv1/v2, mib2trap)
From: netview@toddh.net (Todd H.)
Date: 08 Oct 2001 18:35:36 -0500
"James Shanks" <SHANKS@us.tivoli.com> writes:
> This is a multipart message in MIME format.
> --=_alternative 0045D78E85256ADF_=

Oy.  Multipart.  :-)

> >>BTW...does anyone know where my coworkers would've gotten this notion
> of snmpv1 compatibility only with mib2trap?
>
> i.e. at what vresion did mib2trap start support smiv2 mib files?
>
> ----------------------
>
> mib2trap has supported NOTIFICATION-TYPE statements since 5.1.2.
> Several other issues were fixed in that release.  Generally speaking
> it has been updated every time.  I guess people don't read the
> Release Notes much.

Ah--that explains it.  Given the way we do traps and the need to
customize all of them anyway with specific TEC slots and severities,
most folks round here have given up on mib2trap and find that coding
up the addtrap commands ourselves has proved faster.

And, I believe the mainstay folks came to this conclusion prior to the
rollout of 5.1.2 and never needed to revisit the mib2trap program.

Thanks James for the info and correction!