Re: ovobjprint -S observation

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Re: ovobjprint -S observation
From: "Leslie Clark" <lclark@us.ibm.com>
Date: Wed, 10 Oct 2001 00:51:17 -0400
If you have negative OID entries in your seedfile, then the flushing of
the stub objects is normal during the ovtopofix. (Netview keeps
these stubs and checks them daily to see if they have turned
into something it is supposed to discover.) As soon as you restart
netmon, these things begin returning - with ever higher object ids.
Name wildcards have the same effect.

This is normal. I prefer, however, to exclude as many of them as
possible by including negative address ranges in the seedfile.
Any address excluded in this way will not appear/disappear
as a stub, or hint. Because as you are seeing, there can be
a great many of them, and there is a lot of work involved in
rediscovering them and in checking them. Note: I recommend
that you set the ovwdb cache setting high enough to accomodate
the maximum object count, even if the stubs are tiny.

Detroit

                    James

                    Shanks/Raleigh       To:     IBM NetView Discussion
<nv-l@tkg.com>
                    /IBM@IBMUS           cc:

                    Sent by:             Subject:     Re: [NV-L] ovobjprint -S
observation
                    owner-nv-l@tkg

                    .com

                    10/09/01 11:28

                    AM

                    Please respond

                    to IBM NetView

                    Discussion

If you realy want to know, then you'll need to take a full ovobjprint and
compare the results, but offhand I say you had a lot of hints which were
resolved.

James Shanks
Level 3 Support
Tivoli NetView for UNIX and NT
Tivoli Software
IBM Software Group
Please note that my new id is jshanks@us.ibm.com

   "Westphal, Raymond"
   <RWestphal@erac.com>                          To:        "NV List
   Sent by: owner-nv-l@tkg.com           (E-mail)" <nv-l@tkg.com>
                                                 cc:
                                                 Subject:        [NV-L]
   10/09/2001 11:12 AM                   ovobjprint -S observation
   Please respond to IBM NetView
   Discussion

Hello Everyone.

NV 6.0.2 for UNIX on AIX 4.3.3.8. IY22983 netmon fix, IY15764 libovsnmp.a
fix, IY21527 CERT fix.

I run a weekly cleanup as recommended by NetView support. The number of
objects defined in the database before the backup and database cleanup is
around 27,xxx. After the backup and database cleanup, the count is reduced
to 13,4xx. This morning at 7 a.m. the count was at 23,xxx. At 9 a.m. the
count was 32,xxx. And as I write this, at 10 a.m., the count has dropped to
24,928. During this time netmon becomes "too busy to report now". I can
understand why if it is trying to setup polling schedules etc.

What accounts for these huge fluctuations object counts?

Thanks.

Ray Westphal
Enterprise Rent-A-Car