RE: Netmon Deleting Nodes

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: RE: Netmon Deleting Nodes
From: "Leslie Clark" <lclark@us.ibm.com>
Date: Tue, 6 Nov 2001 23:42:00 -0500
Perhaps you are discovering it by an address that is not real?
If it is a vlan address, or perhaps an hsrp address, that will do
it. Force the discovery by an address (or name that resolves
to an address) that is an ethernet interface. Also make sure
that the address, if it resolves, resolves both ways.

Detroit

                    "O'Neill,

                    Dermott"             To:     "'IBM NetView Discussion'"

                    <ONeillD@aetna        <nv-l@tkg.com>

                    .com>                cc:     "'reamd@nationwide.com'"

                    Sent by:              <reamd@nationwide.com>

                    owner-nv-l@tkg       Subject:     RE: [NV-L] Netmon
Deleting Nodes
                    .com

                    11/06/01 10:58

                    PM

                    Please respond

                    to IBM NetView

                    Discussion

Looks like your topology and object databases are having issues sync'ing
up.
Try looking in the object database also:
ovobjprint > ovobj.txt
then vi / grep on the ip address and the associated hostname to look for
clues.
Netview won't add duplicate IP address' into its databases.

You can also format the trap for duplicates that Netview finds:
IBM_DUPIP_EV {1.3.6.1.4.1.2.6.3} 6 58982415 N 1 0 "Log Only Events"
$3
EXEC echo " $(date "+%Y/%m/%d %H.%M.%S"): $1: $2: $3: $4: $5" >>
/home/root/duplicate_ip.log
SDESC
This event is generated by NetView for AIX when
it when a duplicate IP address is found

The data passed with the event are:
    1) ID of application sending the event
    2) Name or IP address