RE: Nvcorrd error checking

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: RE: Nvcorrd error checking
From: "Gavin Newman" <NEWMANGJ@banksa.com.au>
Date: Fri, 14 Dec 2001 16:07:53 +1030
The way I did it was to write a daemon application which periodically generates
an trap which sent to the Netview boxes and sets a variable relating to the
individual Netview system (I run a production and play, sorry development.
system)

My Netview rule includes an action for this trap which executes a second
program which talks to my daemon causing it to reset the variable that the
original action set.

When the daemon is ready to repeat the trap generation it check the variable,
if it is still set then it knows that the previous trap did not get processed
correctly by Netview and alerts me via an SMS message.

In addition to this the daemon periodically executes an ovstatus and greps for
"NOT" as in "NOT_RUNNING" and alerts me to this in the same way you are already
doing.

Cheers - Gavin

>>> jack.chan@nz.unisys.com 14/12/2001 13:25:49 >>>
Thanks for the tip James, I will look into it.

We are running 24X7 for some boxes, so I am thinking of some sort of
heartbeat to check the trapd, nvcorrd and nvactiond e.g(wsnmptrap to NV -->
script to postemsg to TEC --> TEC touch a local file --> script to check
touch time of file)

How are Netview experts check their daemons out there? Thanks!

Regards,

Jack