Re: [nv-l] Looking for advice

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Re: [nv-l] Looking for advice
From: "Stephen Hochstetler" <shochste@us.ibm.com>
Date: Tue, 12 Feb 2002 08:37:58 -0600
Jason,

You are asking how to get HP and NetView to talk....my first question
is...what business problem are you solving?

Are you looking for the Openview box to backup the NetView box?  or vice
versa?  Do you have automatic trouble tickets only on one server, or other
event automation?   There are ways to do most anything, the question is
what level of effort does it require.  If you determine the effort you must
also know the business value to make a decision about doing it.

I have worked in accounts that had both in them.   From experience I can
tell you that OpenView and NetView will give you different topologies.
100% of the time that the customers complained about this, we had them
snmpwalk their devices and draw out the interfaces and networks by hand.
After a bit they saw that NetView was doing things correctly and showing
them information that OpenView was not showing them.   After that fact was
documented to customer management the project became a migration project to
move the remaining networks from OpenView to NetView.   OpenView was then
shutdown.   OpenView operators were trained how to use NetView.

Kind regards,
Stephen Hochstetler              shochste@us.ibm.com
International Technical Support Organization  - Austin
Office - 512-436-8564                      FAX - 512-436-8701

ITSO redbooks at  http://www.redbooks.ibm.com