Re: [nv-l] Looking for advice

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Re: [nv-l] Looking for advice
From: "James Shanks" <jshanks@us.ibm.com>
Date: Tue, 12 Feb 2002 09:12:45 -0500

Good luck.  In my opinion, HP has spent no small amount of time and effort to stop using the APIs they initially wrote when NetView was cloned from OpenView (back in the Version 1 days, almost ten years ago) to prevent exactly this.   They no longer even support the direct forwarding of traps from our trapd to theirs, though you could configure NetView's trapd to forward all his traps to OpenView using udp.  But what OpenView will do with them, other than display them, is anyone's guess.  Ditto for the reverse flow.

I know for a fact that the databases are not transferable.

You could have a NetView and an OpenView  monitoring the same devices, but other than having two separate management systems polling the same devices, I don't know what this would accomplish.

James Shanks
Level 3 Support  for Tivoli NetView for UNIX and NT
Tivoli Software / IBM Software Group

"Allison, Jason (JALLISON)" <JALLISON@arinc.com>

02/11/2002 05:09 PM