RE: [nv-l] Looking for advice

To: "'nv-l'" <nv-l@lists.tivoli.com>
Subject: RE: [nv-l] Looking for advice
From: "Stephen Hochstetler" <shochste@us.ibm.com>
Date: Tue, 12 Feb 2002 09:16:12 -0600
Jason,

Not sure what advice I can give you.   I hear you saying that the
topologies are unique between your two management servers.   Since they are
unique, I don't see any need for a single platform to be doing the
correlation.   You have two separate networks that should not be correlated
together.

If you want a single Level 2 group that is responsible for troubleshooting
the network.  Then I suggest giving them a single event console that
receives events from both OpenView and NetView.   As an example this could
be a Tivoli TEC console or one of its competitors.   OpenView and NetView
should both have rules in themselves doing their own network correlation so
that only real problems are forwarded to the Level 2 event console.   No
need for NetView and OpenView to talk with each other.    I would hope you
are running an uptodate NetView and OpenView.  If so then Level 2 should,
when receiving the events be able to open via a broswer either an OpenView
or NetView console and perform their diagnostics quickly.

You mention saving your company money.   I have a prejudice towards
NetView, other people would have the same for OpenView.  As long as you are
spending the time to maintain and create propriety systems on two
platforms, that is a waste.    If you want to save money, then build a good
case to migrate to one platform.   You will reduce administrative costs.
You can do even more by migrating to one server instead of two.   Perhaps
some of these things are what you had in mind when you wanted just one of
them correlating the traps.

Good luck.

Kind regards,
Stephen Hochstetler              shochste@us.ibm.com
International Technical Support Organization  - Austin
Office - 512-436-8564                      FAX - 512-436-8701

ITSO redbooks at  http://www.redbooks.ibm.com