Re: [nv-l] CERT security advisory on multiple SNMP implementations

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Re: [nv-l] CERT security advisory on multiple SNMP implementations
From: "Leslie Clark" <lclark@us.ibm.com>
Date: Sat, 16 Feb 2002 10:22:59 -0500
We had our round a couple of months ago, remember?

Now for the Cisco situation. What are people using for massively telneting
to devices and issuing commands? In my current situation I am looking at
implementing ACLs for a few thousand devices. I know there are commercial
products out there for running scripts on devices. Any recommendations?

Detroit

                    netview@toddh.

                    net (Todd H.)        To:     nv-l@lists.tivoli.com

                                         cc:

                    02/12/02 04:53       Subject:     [nv-l] CERT security
advisory on
                    PM                    multiple SNMP implementations

Oy...there goes the neighborhood.  NetView is clean, but a bunch of
devices in the average network are likely to be vulnerable:

I'm curious if anyone know how NetView got branded as not vulnerable
to trap format string attacks without the dependency on the security
e-Fix from 6.02 that came out in response to:

Perhaps because that vulnerability only existed if you launched
external scripts in event processing forked by ovactiond?

--
Todd H.
http://www.toddh.net/