Re: [nv-l] Objects Not Being Discovered

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Re: [nv-l] Objects Not Being Discovered
From: netview@toddh.net (Todd H.)
Date: 20 Feb 2002 18:05:32 -0600
reamd@Nationwide.com writes:
> Hi All,
>          I'm having problems with netview discovering an object. I have an
> IP and host name in etc/hosts and the IP address is in the seed file. I
> stop and start netmon and it does not discover it. I can ping it and
> snmpwalk it.  I do a ovtopodump -l on the IP address and the host name and
> it does not find it. I do a locate from netview and it does not find it. I
> did a ovmapcount -a and ovtopofix -A and also ovtopofix -r IP and cycled
> netmon and it does not discover it... What can I do to find out why this is
> not being discovered..
>

> AIX 4.3.3 ML6  6.02

I've been there...and it's frustrating isn't it?  :-(

Netmon does the discovery, so I found the netmon man page very
enlightening on how it thinks.

Some things to try: is the community string what netview assumes for
that class of device?  /usr/OV/bin/xnmsnmpconf will tell you or you
can peek in /usr/OV/conf/ovsnmp.conf

Make sure you're adding the ip address to the actual seedfile, and not
what you assume the seedfile is.  I've been duped before into thinking
/usr/OV/conf/netmon.seed was the seedfile only to later visit the
"smitty nv6000">configur>topology>netmon panel and discover that
netmon was using /usr/OV/conf/C/netmon.seed instead.  I'd wrongly
assumed there was a system default location for this file when in fact
its fully configurable.  :-)

/usr/OV/log/trapd.log and /usr/OV/log/netmon.trace can be helpful if
you have netmon logging enabled.  see the netmon man page and
investigate -L and -T flags.

HTH,
--
Todd H.