RE: [nv-l] Question about forwarding node down event to TEC.

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: RE: [nv-l] Question about forwarding node down event to TEC.
From: "Kevin C Li" <kevinli@us.ibm.com>
Date: Tue, 14 May 2002 10:20:52 -0500

Leslie Clark wrote:
>The answer is that you cannot modify the event being forwarded.
>There are a couple of approaches commonly taken.
>
>1) Many people use wpostemsg to send their own event from the
>ruleset, rather than passing the Netview event. Generate that event
>from an Action in a Netview ruleset running in ESE.automation.

wpostemsg doesn't always cache events if it can't pass them on to the TEC
server.  If I recall correctly, when the local oserv process is dead,
wpostemsg fails without caching the event.  As a result, some events that
should go from NetView to TEC are lost.  Because of this, my organization
uses postemsg instead of wpostesmg.  We tested and discovered this at least
a year ago, so for all I know this could have been fixed by now.

Kevin Li