Re: [nv-l] AIX vs. Solaris

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Re: [nv-l] AIX vs. Solaris
From: jshanks@us.ibm.com
Date: Tue, 2 Jul 2002 09:17:00 -0400
I don't know how anyone else feels, but in my view, the SEA SNMP agent on
Solaris is such an unreliable  pain, and Solaris itself is such a pain to
administer, that if you have a choice, I would go with AIX.  SMIT alone is
worth the price of admission, plus your SNMP operations will be more
reliable, and finally, you will probably have fewer cores.  Solaris is
notoriously more picky about null pointers and empty strings.  I cannot
tell you how many Solaris-only cores we've fixed as a result.

The only daemon difference I am aware of in NetView is nvpagerd.  The
pager queue is in shared memory and Solaris doesn't allow us to expand it
the way AIX does, so the pager has a fixed queue size on Solaris.  Not a
problem usually, but possibly so if you send a lot of pages.  So the size
was made configurable with IY29166.  Other than that, I am not aware of
any other underlying differences.

James Shanks
Level 3 Support  for Tivoli NetView for UNIX and NT
Tivoli Software / IBM Software Group

"Wilkinson, Iain D" <iain.wilkinson@eds.com>
07/02/2002 03:09 AM