Re: [nv-l] Discovering Non-IP based ports

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Re: [nv-l] Discovering Non-IP based ports
From: "Francois Le Hir" <flehir@ca.ibm.com>
Date: Mon, 9 Sep 2002 13:19:06 -0400
Paul,

If you can get the status of the port using snmp then you can use nvsniffer
with a custom script that will check the availability of each port. It
then generate a trap in case of failure. Each element monitored with
nvsniffer is represented as a "service" (it can be an application or
whatever you wish to report on). Services are visible with the web console
as a property of the device. Right now with Netview 7.1.2 on Unix the
services are not represented at the interface level but I am been told that
this will be corrected in version 7.1.3. That mean the icon representing
the port will go red and the device itself will go yellow in case of
failure. With 7.1.2 the trap is still generated when the service goes down
so you can customize it to fit your need.

Salutations, / Regards,

Francois Le Hir
Network Projects & Consulting Services
IBM Global Services