RE: [nv-l] pingList

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: RE: [nv-l] pingList
From: "Leslie Clark" <lclark@us.ibm.com>
Date: Wed, 30 Oct 2002 00:32:35 -0500
Try 'ovobjprint -s | grep "Interface:"  to watch for partially-discovered
nodes.

The pinglist, I assume you are referring to is the output of 'netmon -a 3'.
This is just netmon's schedule for status polling. Once something is
discovered, it is scheduled to be checked. When you do a
'netmon -a 3', netmon dumps that schedule. It seems to me that it
has to get discovered before it goes in the list.  And your seedfile
is what controls discovery.

Detroit

                      "Chang, Mei"

                      <MChang@tiaa-cref        To:
"'nv-l@lists.tivoli.com'" <nv-l@lists.tivoli.com>
                      .org>                    cc:

                      10/23/2002 09:52

                      AM

Leslie,

ovtopfix is run every weekend, new node discovery has been turned off
several months ago since the initial discovery.  There is no negative
address ranges in the seedfile since day1. When Network folks told me about
this problem I could not believe it.  I did a search on the outputs of
ovobjprint and ovtopodump, but did not see any workstations in either one
of
the output files at that time.  What are the hints at V6? Are they some of
fields from "ovobjprint -f" I can refer to?

How does the pingList get built?

Thanks
Mei Chang