Re: RES: [nv-l] Question#1 - Redundant & Disaster Recovery Solution f or

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Re: RES: [nv-l] Question#1 - Redundant & Disaster Recovery Solution f or (AIX) Net view Server
From: "Ken Karasek" <ken.karasek@hewitt.com>
Date: Wed, 12 Mar 2003 15:53:41 -0600

When we were researching recovery options last year, we looked into both the HACMP and HAGEO options both supported by AIX and NV6000. Both costly, complicated, timely to implement, but automatic recovery with little user intervention.

In short, we have decide to stop the local NV/6000 application, TAR (or PAX) the /usr/OV directories to a separate local filesystem, restart the local NV/6000 application, transfer the TAR file via an SCP connection to a remote NV6000 server, (un)TAR the remote file, and initiate a reset_ci command .  All this using CRON and a few scripts. The remote NV/6000 is configured with the same hardware and software.

In the event that the local production NV/6000 server becomes unavailable, we would access the remote NV/6000 server, start the daemons, and initiate the nv6000 command.

Simple, low cost, uncomplicated, slightly manual process. Benefit is that we only have to maintain on NV/6000 platform and have a duplicate standby.

John Bruer <ad572@yahoo.com>

03/12/2003 02:34 PM
Please respond to nv-l