RE: [nv-l] name change on all devices

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com, fdephillips@McLeodUSA.com
Subject: RE: [nv-l] name change on all devices
From: "Davis, Donald" <donald.davis@firstcitizens.com>
Date: Wed, 16 Jul 2003 15:03:07 -0400
Frank,
Yes, you can do what you have suggested. It is a simple matter of creating a list of devices to feed into a nmdemandpoll script.
This will cause netview to resolve the new name and update the map accordingly.

However. what you are planning to do, is NOT trivial if you have any automation that is dependent upon a hard-coded hostname.
Be aware that a hostname change will affect everything that is dependent upon a hard-coded hostname.

Off the top of my head, this is what could be impacted:
1. Rulesets
2. Smartsets
3. Mid Level Managers
4. scripts (I have 68 scripts that would be affected)
5. Event customization (trapd)
6. TEC rules
7. Static routes
8. snmpCollect configuration

Historical data would probably have to be purged or updated with new names too.
SNMP data collection
Router Syslogs

I'm sure there are more.
Be careful what you ask for!