Re: [nv-l] origin=212.252.18.0

To: James Shanks <jshanks@us.ibm.com>, nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Re: [nv-l] origin=212.252.18.0
From: tivoli <tivoli@bu.brauunion.ro>
Date: Fri, 05 Sep 2003 12:06:20 +0300
Like I told you yesterday I changed back to the original cds file and now I see again events with empty hostname field ... so it's not DNS or hosts file... I' ll go back to modify the cds file

Regards,
Lucian

James Shanks wrote:

My guess is that the system is expecting to resolve your hostname into a fully-qualified domain name, xxx.abc.com, and it is unable to do so. Is the NetView box in DNS, with both forward and backward name resolution? Many Windows shops neglect DNS.

Try changing the entry for your NetView box in C:\Windows\system32\drivers\etc\hosts to contain one. My guess is that it looks like this: # The following entry was modified by NetView to keep consistent with Registry.
#
10.10.10.10        jshanks1        jshanks1

Make it look like this:
 10.10.10.10        jshanks1.ibm.com        jshanks1

If this doesn't solve it, then lets continue this discussion via the list, so that others may join.

Tivoli Software / IBM Software Group

*tivoli <tivoli@bu.brauunion.ro>*

09/04/2003 04:27 AM

To: James Shanks/Raleigh/IBM@IBMUS cc: Subject: Re: [nv-l] origin=212.252.18.0

James
I hope you could find few minutes to help me with this problem...
it's about all tec_its_subnet_connectivity events ...they are with empty
hostname field in TEC; until yesterday use to have that strange origin
(212.252.18.0) and empty hostname but after changing

MAP_DEFAULT
  source = NV6K ;
  sub_source = NET ;
  origin = $SOURCE_ADDR ;       <<<<change to>>>>>   $AGENT_ADDR
  adapter_host = $AGENT_ADDR ;
END
I have in origin field the address of NetVIew.
so, what about tec_its_subnet_connectivity?
its definition is this:

CLASS TEC_ITS_SUBNET_CONNECTIVITY
 SELECT
   1: ATTR(=,$ENTERPRISE) , VALUE(PREFIX, "1.3.6.1.4.1.2.6.3" ) ;
   2: $SPECIFIC = 58916968 ;
   3: ATTR(=, "nvObject" ) ;
   4: ATTR(=, "nvEventDescr" ) ;
   5: ATTR(=, "nvApplNbr" ) ;
       6: ATTR(=, "VB_7") ;
       7: ATTR(=, "VB_8") ;
 FETCH
       1: IPNAME($AGENT_ADAPTER);
       2: IPADDR($ADAPTER_HOST);
 MAP
       adapter_host = $F1 ;
   msg = $V4 ;
   category = $V5 ;
       reachability = 1 ; # UNREACHABLE
       subnetaddr = $V6 ;
       subnetmask = $V7 ;
   nvhostname = $F2 ; # Required for ALL TEC_ITS events
END

should I put there a hostname field ?  Like this:

MAP
       adapter_host = $F1 ;
hostname = $V3 ; msg = $V4 ;
(I'll give a try to see what's happening and I'll inform you ..ok?)
thanks
Lucian