Re: [nv-l] NetView using wpostesmg

To: "Bursik, Scott {PBSG}" <Scott.Bursik@pbsg.com>
Subject: Re: [nv-l] NetView using wpostesmg
From: John Bruer <ad572@yahoo.com>
Date: 10 Sep 2003 10:15:45 -0500
Cc: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
"Bursik, Scott {PBSG}" <Scott.Bursik@pbsg.com> writes:

> NetView 7.1.3 AIX 4.3.3
>
> This is a little off topic, but I thought I would throw it out there and
> offer it as a FYI as well.
>
> I am using wpostemsg to send some of the NetView events into TEC. I have IBM
> 3584 Tape Library whos traps exceed the 255 character limit of wpostemsg so
> the messages get cut off. Has anyone else had this issue? I used the
> mib2trap utility to import the trap configuration for the tape library so I
> know I can edit the shell script it generates to shorten the messages, but I
> would rather not have to.
>
> Any framework pros out there know if there are any plans to change the
> restriction/limitation to wpostemsg?

I use postemsg (no real benefit to using the framework as far as I
know), and have been told that with TEC 3.8, TEC and its postemsg
friends can handle slots up to 4000 in length, though the total event
size can't be bigger than 4k.

I haven't tested it though.  I'm sure a PMR to the TEC group would
confirm this if you need a better answer.

Editing the trap definition...is something I do all the time.  Are you
really using the output of mib2trap without modification?  If so,
you're quite lucky!

--
jb