RE: [nv-l] Configuration of Event Threshold

To: nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com
Subject: RE: [nv-l] Configuration of Event Threshold
From: James Shanks <jshanks@us.ibm.com>
Date: Wed, 15 Oct 2003 13:44:05 -0400
Delivery-date: Wed, 15 Oct 2003 18:53:57 +0100
Sender: owner-nv-l-digest@lists.us.ibm.com

I, for one, am having a very hard time following this, and based on the seven years I have spent working with distributed NetView, I am having an even harder time believing that something is broken here.  I really do work in this area every day.

All NetView traps, including  the snmpCollect Threshold Exceeded trap 58720263 should have the hostname of the device they are about in varbind 2, which you reference in trapd.conf and pass to ovactiond as "$2".  And they all have a minimum of 5 variables.  Your snmptrap script has neither of those and so I doubt that it truly represents what is being sent by NetView itself.  The "threshold exceeded" message should be $3 not $2.   This is as documented in Appendix A of the NetView for UNIX Administrator's Guide.

My suggestion is that you configure this trap in trapd.conf (using xnmtrap) so that it says $* on the Log Message line.  This will cause all the variables to be echoed to the log and the events window in numerical order.    If it truly is that case that a real NetView event does not meet both these criteria as I have stated then you indeed have a bug and should contact Support immediately.

James Shanks
Level 3 Support  for Tivoli NetView for UNIX and Windows
Tivoli Software / IBM Software Group

Peter.Ingleson@gerlingncm.com
Sent by: owner-nv-l-digest@lists.us.ibm.com

10/15/2003 07:22 AM