RE: [nv-l] another list

To: <nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com>
Subject: RE: [nv-l] another list
From: "Barr, Scott" <Scott_Barr@csgsystems.com>
Date: Wed, 15 Oct 2003 13:20:00 -0500
Delivery-date: Wed, 15 Oct 2003 19:30:23 +0100
Sender: owner-nv-l-digest@lists.us.ibm.com
Well, I will weigh in on this from a different perspective.

I think the mailing list and a newsgroup both have significant limitations. In this day and age, more facilities should be available for a user community than just a simple email thread. If you look around at other software products and their support forums, you see a feature list like this:

1. Message threads / bulletin board
2. Download area for user contributions (i.e. let me share my script / rulesets with you)
3. Chat room for online meetings with product experts
4. Patches
5. Documentation
6. Surveys / questionnaires
7. Enhancement requests

Just to draw a parallel - I play online games. If you go look at the support site for a user community from one of the popular MMORPGs you find a suite of tools and features that is quite robust and usually these are supported by fans without a lot of capital to pay for fancy features - they just use whats easily obtained and create some DAMN good web sites to support their "guilds". It is extremely annoying to me, that the user community for NetView is still living in the text only 1970s bulletin board format.

I don't really have a preference about news vs. email, I just hate the limited feature set for support so we have to keep answering the same questions for folks over and over (no threads so we can't have a sticky topic with FAQs) - no download area so we can't share files / scripts, etc.