Re: [nv-l] another list

To: nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com
Subject: Re: [nv-l] another list
From: Jane Curry <jane.curry@skills-1st.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 15 Oct 2003 17:08:15 +0100
Delivery-date: Wed, 15 Oct 2003 17:21:49 +0100
Sender: owner-nv-l-digest@lists.us.ibm.com
Thanks for this, James. I shall also most most certainly be staying with nv-l. I have looked at the newsgroups since Oliver first posted his bombshell about a week ago, and I signed up for the NetView, TEC and Switch Analyzer newsgroups. The only thing that has been posted to any of these newsgroups in a week is a note from me on the NetView one, pointing folk at this nv-l mail list.

For those people who also use other Tivoli products and the tme10 mail list, is someone also going to "boilerplate" the other Tivoli product release notes to try and circumnavigate tme10????

I guess the other question for the user community is whether they are comfortable with IBM continuing to host these mail lists, especially given the service disruptions over the last few months?? I would hate some "Tivoli executive" to order the "de-creation" of the mail lists.......

Cheers,
Jane

James Shanks wrote:

Folks,

I sent a posting to this list a couple days ago, which I don't seem to be able to find any more, so I'll try again.

I inquired about this and was told that a Tivoli executive had ordered the creation of this NetView newsgroup so that he could say that all Tivoli products, like all IBM products, had one. Furthermore, the mention of the newsgroup in the next version of each product's Release Notes was also mandated. No one in my group nor in NetView development even saw this boiler plate before the ID group replaced that book on the CD. It was not considered technical content and therefore was not given to them to review. That's why the nv-l list was not mentioned there as well. I have already escalated this and I think that will be rectified in the Release Notes to the first FixPack for 7.1.4. As for the newsgroup itself, even the people who created it say that they do not think of it is a replacement for the nv-l list, which they admit is monitored by people with much more expertise than any newsgroup is. So my advice is that, as users, you "vote with your feet" as it were and use the vehicle you prefer. This list is your forum after all; it was started by customers for customers, and until it suddenly needed a home and a Tivoli guy volunteered to rescue it, it was not maintained by IBM at all. If you choose not to participate on the newsgroup, you need not. I don't plan to, myself.

Tivoli Software / IBM Software Group

Tel: +44 (0)1628 782565
Copyright (c) 2003 Jane Curry <jane.curry@skills-1st.co.uk>.  All rights
reserved.