Re: [nv-l] another list

To: nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com
Subject: Re: [nv-l] another list
From: Jeff Fitzwater <jfitz@princeton.edu>
Date: Wed, 15 Oct 2003 11:12:58 -0400
Delivery-date: Wed, 15 Oct 2003 16:23:37 +0100
Sender: owner-nv-l-digest@lists.us.ibm.com
Jane Curry wrote:

> OK - good news and bad news!
>
> Good news is that NetView 7.1.4 does seem to be released.  I cannot see
> any manuals on the Tivoli documentation website, nor any code on the
> customer Passport Advantage site, but the code IS available to business
> partners on the Partnerworld site, along with TEC 3.9 - hopefully the
> other sites will catch up soon.
>
> BAD news, as advertsied by Oliver earlier, is that the NetView 7.1.4
> Release Notes seem to be promoting an IBM newsgroup as a forum for users
> and no longer mentions this forum.
>
> Any other input from nv-l users for or against this move to a newsgroup????
>
> Cheers,
> Jane
>
> Jane Curry wrote:
>
> > Anybody else think that this is a seriously bad idea???
> > The nv-l list has been the NetView community list since day 1 and is
> > well known.  It seems like a VERY bad idea to split the community into
> > more than 1 group.
> > Many organisation do not permit news through their firewalls - this
> > issue has been discussed several times in the past and has always been
> > the reason for maintaining some sort of mail list.
> >
> > How would we maintain a searchable archive - search facilities in Web
> > Browsers are nothing like as useful as we have on either the tme10 or
> > the nv-l archive..
> >
> > Comments?
> > Jane
> >
> > Oliver Bruchhaeuser wrote:
> >
> >> no "nv-l"-reference in the new Release Notes .-(
> >>
> >> Oliver
> >>

> >> |---------+---------------------------------->
> >> |         |           Jane Curry             |
> >> |         |           <jane.curry@skills-1st.|
> >> |         |           co.uk>                 |
> >> |         |           Sent by:               |
> >> |         |           owner-nv-l-digest@lists|
> >> |         |           .us.ibm.com            |
> >> |         |                                  |
> >> |         |                                  |
> >> |         |           10.10.2003 11:33       |
> >> |         |           Please respond to nv-l |
> >> |         |                                  |
> >> |---------+---------------------------------->

> >>  |       To:
> >> nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com

> >> cc:
> >> |
> >>  |       Subject:  Re: [nv-l] another
> >> list

> >> Interesting that the upcoming product documentation references an IBM
> >> news list that has virtually no traffic.  Does the documentation also
> >> reference this nv-l list??
> >>
> >> If the Release Notes are written for 7.1.4, surely we are close to
> >> announcement again - anyone know the latest target???
> >>
> >> Cheers,
> >> Jane

> >> replacement

> >> ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|

> >> --
> >> Tivoli Certified Consultant & Instructor
> [...]

    Does this mean that IBM will require "Netview support folks like Jane and
James" to now only listen to the user group,
or both?   I would think that IBM would have polled the user community FIRST
before implementing a new user group tool.
It is much easier to manipulate mail than user group info.

Leave a good thing alone.

Jeff Fitzwater
OIT Systems & Networking
Princeton UNiversity