Re: [nv-l] another list

To: nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com
Subject: Re: [nv-l] another list
From: Jane Curry <jane.curry@skills-1st.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 15 Oct 2003 15:44:27 +0100
Delivery-date: Wed, 15 Oct 2003 15:53:30 +0100
Sender: owner-nv-l-digest@lists.us.ibm.com
OK - good news and bad news!

Good news is that NetView 7.1.4 does seem to be released. I cannot see any manuals on the Tivoli documentation website, nor any code on the customer Passport Advantage site, but the code IS available to business partners on the Partnerworld site, along with TEC 3.9 - hopefully the other sites will catch up soon.

BAD news, as advertsied by Oliver earlier, is that the NetView 7.1.4 Release Notes seem to be promoting an IBM newsgroup as a forum for users and no longer mentions this forum.

Any other input from nv-l users for or against this move to a newsgroup????

Cheers,
Jane

Jane Curry wrote:

Anybody else think that this is a seriously bad idea???
The nv-l list has been the NetView community list since day 1 and is well known. It seems like a VERY bad idea to split the community into more than 1 group. Many organisation do not permit news through their firewalls - this issue has been discussed several times in the past and has always been the reason for maintaining some sort of mail list.

How would we maintain a searchable archive - search facilities in Web Browsers are nothing like as useful as we have on either the tme10 or the nv-l archive..

Comments?
Jane

Oliver Bruchhaeuser wrote:

no "nv-l"-reference in the new Release Notes .-(

Oliver

|---------+---------------------------------->
|         |           Jane Curry             |
|         |           <jane.curry@skills-1st.|
|         |           co.uk>                 |
|         |           Sent by:               |
|         |           owner-nv-l-digest@lists|
|         |           .us.ibm.com            |
|         |                                  |
|         |                                  |
|         |           10.10.2003 11:33       |
|         |           Please respond to nv-l |
|         |                                  |
|---------+---------------------------------->

| | | To: nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com | | cc: | | Subject: Re: [nv-l] another list | | | | |

>------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|

Interesting that the upcoming product documentation references an IBM
news list that has virtually no traffic.  Does the documentation also
reference this nv-l list??

If the Release Notes are written for 7.1.4, surely we are close to
announcement again - anyone know the latest target???

Cheers,
Jane

Oliver Bruchhaeuser wrote:

from the NetView 7.1.4 Release Notes:

--------------------
Participating in newsgroups

User groups provide software professionals with a forum for communicating
ideas,
technical expertise, and experiences related to the product. They are
located on the
Internet and are available using standard news reader programs. These
groups are
primarily intended for user-to-user communication and are not a

replacement
for
formal support.

To access a newsgroup, use the instructions appropriate for your browser.

Use these instructions for a Microsoft® Internet Explorer browser.
1. Open an Internet Explorer browser.
2. From the Tools menu, click Internet Options.
3. On the Internet Options window, click the Programs tab.
4. In the Newsgroups list, click the Down Arrow and then click Outlook
Express.
5. Click OK.
6. Close your Internet Explorer browser and then open it again.
7. Cut and paste the newsgroup address of a product into the browser
Address
field, and press Enter to open the newsgroup.
Use these instructions for a Netscape Navigator browser.
1. Open a Netscape Navigator browser.
2. From the Edit menu, click Preferences. The Preferences window is
displayed.
3. In the Category view, click Mail & Newsgroups to display the Mail &
Newsgroups settings.
4. Select the Use Netscape mail as the default mail application check box.
5. Click OK.
6. Close your Netscape Navigator browser and then open it again.
7. Cut and paste the newsgroup address of a product into the browser
Address
field, and press Enter to open the newsgroup.

IBM Tivoli NetView for UNIX and IBM Tivoli NetView for Windows®

IBM Tivoli Enterprise Console®

--------------------

Kind regards

Oliver Bruchhaeuser
Tivoli NetView EMEA L2 Support

|---------+---------------------------------->
|         |           "Pal, Laszlo"          |
|         |           <laszlo.pal@eds.com>   |
|         |           Sent by:               |
|         |           owner-nv-l-digest@lists|
|         |           .us.ibm.com            |
|         |                                  |
|         |                                  |
|         |           09.10.2003 14:42       |
|         |           Please respond to nv-l |
|         |                                  |
|---------+---------------------------------->

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|

|       To:       nv-l@lists.tivoli.com

|       cc: