Re: [nv-l] Wrong version

To: nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com
Subject: Re: [nv-l] Wrong version
From: bill.kellam@worldspan.com
Date: Mon, 20 Oct 2003 14:45:01 -0400
Delivery-date: Mon, 20 Oct 2003 19:53:15 +0100
Sender: owner-nv-l-digest@lists.us.ibm.com

That's disappointing. In the meantime, I've worked on the traps that I'm
receiving from this device. I ran mib2trap, on CISCO-LOCAL-DIRECTOR-MIB.my,
and got a set of addtraps. I executed the script to load the definitions.
The mib itself is SNMPv2, so I use xnmload2. I've successfully modified the
trap definition with some English verbiage, but the variable that is sent
with the trap isn't decoded. I can use xnmbrowser2 to find and browse to
it, but it is still in dotted-decimal form in the log file. Is that normal?
Am I seeing a v2 variable in a v1 trap?

Regards,
Bill Kellam
Enterprise Integration and Management

                      Leslie Clark

                      <lclark@us.ibm.com>            To:
nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com
                      Sent by:                       cc:

                      owner-nv-l-digest@lists        Subject:  Re: [nv-l] Wrong
version
                      .us.ibm.com

                      10/18/2003 04:43 PM

                      Please respond to nv-l

The cisco Local Director device has a very badly behaved SNMP agent, if you
ask me. Notice the oid they claim to be using. They answer to very little.
I generally treat them as non-snmp and figure it is sort of like firewalls
- they don't want us to know too much about them. Has anyone else had
better experience with them?

Detroit

    bill.kellam@worldspan.com
    Sent by:                               To:        NetView mailing list
    owner-nv-l-digest@lists.us.ibm <nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com>
    .com                                   cc:
                                           Subject:        [nv-l] Wrong
                                   version
    10/17/2003 10:44 AM
    Please respond to nv-l

Hi,

When I snmpwalk a particular device, I get responses like this:

>snmpwalk 10.6.1.253 system
Wrong version: 1
Continuing anyway
system.sysDescr.0 : DISPLAY STRING- (ascii):  Cisco LocalDirector

Is this Netview telling me I'm using the wrong version or the
LocalDirector?

7.1.3/AIX5.2