Re: NetView User Groups (was[nv-l] another list)

To: nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com
Subject: Re: NetView User Groups (was[nv-l] another list)
From: Mike Odom <odomm@us.ibm.com>
Date: Mon, 20 Oct 2003 15:36:09 -0500
Delivery-date: Mon, 20 Oct 2003 22:01:51 +0100
Sender: owner-nv-l-digest@lists.us.ibm.com

I recently returned from the network user group meeting in Leipzig.  There
is a meeting in the spring and one in the fall. The group is hosted by
individual customers at some hotel. The coordination is done by Share and
the attendees are members.  Customers present their best practices and
typically we have one or more product or development representatives from
the lab to discuss some relevant topics.  I think there is benefit from
this gathering as It provides me with the opportunity to gather
requirements and get direct feedback from customers on what they see coming
in the network management arena.
.
.
Mike Odom
Switch Analyzer Product Manager

                      Jane Curry

                      <jane.curry@skills-1st.        To:
nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com
                      co.uk>                         cc:

                      Sent by:                       Subject:  NetView User
Groups (was[nv-l] another list)
                      owner-nv-l-digest@lists

                      .us.ibm.com

                      10/17/2003 01:16 PM

                      Please respond to nv-l

I agree with Mike about the value of User Groups and the dearth of
NetView user groups.  The problem seems to be that no-one currently has
education or travel budget, and when they did, we were still a
relatively sparse community when spread around the globe.

I believe that the Germans DO have a NetView User Group - can anyone
comment on if / how that works?

Another suggestion is to run a BOF (Birds Of a Feather) session at /
after a Tivoli User Group.  I did this at Planet Tivoli in New Orleans
but even with a week's advanced notice, we still only had half a dozen
of us chewing the NetView fat.

I guess it doesn't help Mike, but we have a Tivoli User Group meeting in
the UK on November 13th.  If there's interest, I would be very happy to
hold an informal NetView BOF afterwards ("informal" tends to be defined
as "includes beer/ wine / food at a local hostelry on a self-funding
basis").  If there's interest, please respond.  Perhaps others TUGs
could do the same.  Ideally, we need more NetView content on a TUG
agenda, but that means someone has to volunteer...

My 2 pennorth.....
Cheers,
Jane

nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com

>                      stems.com>               cc:

>                                               Subject:  RE: [nv-l]
another list
>                      10/15/2003 01:20

>                      PM

>                      Please respond to

>                      nv-l

>Well, I will weigh in on this from a different perspective.
>
>I think the mailing list and a newsgroup both have significant
limitations.
>In this day and age, more facilities should be available for a user
>community than just a simple email thread. If you look around at other
>software products and their support forums, you see a feature list like
>this:
>
>1. Message threads / bulletin board
>2. Download area for user contributions (i.e. let me share my script /
>rulesets with you)
>3. Chat room for online meetings with product experts
>4. Patches
>5. Documentation
>6. Surveys / questionnaires
>7. Enhancement requests
>
>Just to draw a parallel - I play online games. If you go look at the
>support site for a user community from one of the popular MMORPGs you find
>a suite of tools and features that is quite robust and usually these are
>supported by fans without a lot of capital to pay for fancy features -
they
>just use whats easily obtained and create some DAMN good web sites to
>support their "guilds". It is extremely annoying to me, that the user
>community for NetView is still living in the text only 1970s bulletin
board
>format.
>
>I don't really have a preference about news vs. email, I just hate the
>limited feature set for support so we have to keep answering the same
>questions for folks over and over (no threads so we can't have a sticky
>topic with FAQs) - no download area so we can't share files / scripts,
etc.

IBM
>   at all.  If you choose not to participate on the newsgroup, you  need
>   not.  I don't plan to, myself.
>

>   James Shanks
>   Level 3 Support  for Tivoli NetView for UNIX and Windows
>   Tivoli Software / IBM Software Group

Tel: +44 (0)1628 782565
Copyright (c) 2003 Jane Curry <jane.curry@skills-1st.co.uk>.  All rights
reserved.