Re: [nv-l] ICMP polling

To: nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com, DSullinger@dot.state.az.us
Subject: Re: [nv-l] ICMP polling
From: Paul Stroud <pstroud@bellsouth.net>
Date: Mon, 27 Oct 2003 11:43:50 -0500
Delivery-date: Mon, 27 Oct 2003 16:52:26 +0000
Sender: owner-nv-l-digest@lists.us.ibm.com
This is all set in xnmsnmpconf(SNMP Configuration GUI). The timeouts and
retries apply to both SNMP and ICMP.  So if you have 3 retries(default) then
you would have had 4(1 original and 3 retries) attempts to make the
connection before netmon marks it down. If you ever wonder about a node,
you can turn on netmon trace(netmon -M -1) from the command line, watch
the node go down, then grep for the hostname out of the netmon.trace file.
This will show you exactly the steps that netmon took to mark it down. Turn
the trace off with 'netmon -M 0'.

ps. GEEK NOTE: you can use egrep and grep for both the ip address and
hostname(ie. egrep "10.10.10.10|hostname.domain.com" netmon.trace).

Paul