RE: [nv-l] Duplicate IP Address

To: Anil Kumar <akumar@e2open.com>, nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com
Subject: RE: [nv-l] Duplicate IP Address
From: "Oliver Bruchhaeuser" <oliver.bruchhaeuser@de.ibm.com>
Date: Wed, 12 Nov 2003 14:59:06 +0100
Delivery-date: Wed, 12 Nov 2003 14:07:52 +0000
Sender: owner-nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com
Anil

both environment variables nothing have to do with each other.

-----------
DCF Document ID: 1063371 - IBM Tivoli NetView: Definition of
NV_NETMON_GENERATE_DUP_ADDR_EVENT
Problem Desc:  A more concise description is needed of the environmental
variable NV_NETMON_GENERATE_DUP_ADDR_EVENT found in
"/usr/OV/conf/netmon.conf"?

Solution:  The environmental variable "NV_NETMON_GENERATE_DUP_ADDR_EVENT"
allows netmon to either generate a duplicate address events whenever a
duplicate address is encountered in the network or to not generate the
event.

NV_NETMON_GENERATE_DUP_ADDR_EVENT=TRUE, will generate a duplicate address
event as in v5.
NV_NETMON_GENERATE_DUP_ADDR_EVENT=FALSE will surpress the duplicate address
event.
-----------

-----------
DCF Document ID: 1063439 - IBM Tivoli NetView: Improved "netmon.conf"
definition of NV_NETMON_REPORT_DUP_ADDRS_ONLY
Problem Desc:  A more concise description is needed of the environmental
variable: NV_NETMON_REPORT_DUP_ADDRS_ONLY, found in
"/usr/OV/conf/netmon.conf".

Solution:  When netmon encounters a duplicate address in a network, it
moves the interface to the "last seen" node. This may cause an interface to
"float" from node to node. Setting the parameter to TRUE will cause netmon
to only produce a trace message. The interface will remain on the node
where it was first discovered.

NV_NETMON_REPORT_DUP_ADDRS_ONLY=FALSE
Set to FALSE to report duplicate IP addresses and remove them.

NV_NETMON_REPORT_DUP_ADDRS_ONLY=TRUE
Set to TRUE to report duplicate IP addresses but will not remove them.
-----------

You have to restart netmon after making the changes to netmon.conf.

You can dump netmons environment variables to /usr/OV/log/netmon.trace with
"netmon -a 160".

Hope this helps.

Kind regards

Oliver Bruchhaeuser
Tivoli NetView EMEA L2 Support

|         |           Anil Kumar       |
|         |           <akumar@e2open.co|
|         |           m>               |
|         |           11.11.2003 18:45 |

nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com                               |
  |       cc:
                                     |
  |       Subject:  RE: [nv-l] Duplicate IP Address
                                     |

>------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|

Oliver,

Thanks for a quick response.
Yes, I removed the # in front.

Also, I see another entry.
# Set to TRUE to report duplicate IP addresses, don't remove them.
#NV_NETMON_REPORT_DUP_ADDRS_ONLY=FALSE

I also tried setting this keyword to TRUE (and removing leading #)
 along with
NV_NETMON_GENERATE_DUP_ADDR_EVENT=TRUE

Still, I do not see Duplicate IP event.

(Though, I am not sure what these keyword do together or separately.
I searched all online docs of Netview for rev 7.1, 7.11 and 7.12.
But search could not find any reference to these keywords in any of these
docs.).

Please suggest, if I can check out some other settings or enable some
Kind of trace of netmon which may suggest if it is getting right
environment
etc.

Sincerely,
-- Anil Kumar