Re: [nv-l] Seed file entries can't be seen via Network Monitor Seed File

To: nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com
Subject: Re: [nv-l] Seed file entries can't be seen via Network Monitor Seed File Editor
From: James Shanks <jshanks@us.ibm.com>
Date: Thu, 4 Dec 2003 12:43:13 -0500
Delivery-date: Thu, 04 Dec 2003 17:49:29 +0000
Sender: owner-nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com

I haven't heard of this before, but if it is really not reading your seed file correctly, then you should report that to Support.  Otherwise it will never get fixed.

Lots of folks don't like the seed file editor, and I am one of those.   It's a port of the java editor from Windows, which was built there  because Windows developers think file comments and Notepad are not user-friendly.  I disagree but that's another story.

But it is java, which makes it slower on UNIX than good old vi.   And it is designed not to show the comments in the file that are there for other people to see who use another editor.  If you added your own comments, you won't see those either.   But it's biggest drawback in my book is that you have to expand all the categories to the left  to see them all, and then click on each one in turn to see what is there.  But nevertheless, it should show them all to you, no matter what order they are in.   But if any of them have an invalid syntax, those will be excluded without explanation.

Personally, I see no use for this tool on UNIX.  But if you want it, and it appears broken, then my advice is to call Support and give them your seed file.

James Shanks
Level 3 Support  for Tivoli NetView for UNIX and Windows
Tivoli Software / IBM Software Group

"Georg Gangl" <Georg.Gangl@brz.gv.at>
Sent by: owner-nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com

12/04/2003 09:28 AM