[nv-l] servmon and itmquery in NV 7.1.4

Subject: [nv-l] servmon and itmquery in NV 7.1.4
From: Jane Curry <jane.curry@skills-1st.co.uk>
Date: Fri, 05 Dec 2003 14:46:41 +0000
Delivery-date: Fri, 05 Dec 2003 14:57:59 +0000
Sender: owner-nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com
I am having another go at these new NV 7.1.4 features and I am really struggling. Before I start raising calls with support, I would appreciate any input or clarification from anyone else working with them....

servmon can be used a s a straight replacement for nvsniffer and, as a port sniffer, I have no issues on a Windows platform. SmartSets get created and populated; object fields get created and set; service icons are created at the interface level for each node that supports the service - business as usual. On Unix NetView (tested AIX and Linux so far), everything works other than service icons at the interface level.

From the documentation, I believe that this service-icons-at-interface-level stuff should also work on Unix, but it doesn't. I believe Scott Barr has already opened PMR13988 to cover this - anyone else have comments?

It is where servmon and itmquery are used together that things seem very strange. I can cope with the itm_servers.conf file, though I feel more documentation is required as to what exactly the userid and password are used for? I am guessing that this is for authentication as a Tivoli Administrator??? The itm_attributes.conf file has 2 fields - the first is a user specified product name; the second is a pattern matching field. My understanding is that either servmon or the itmquery command then talks to the Managed Nodes that are running ITM, that you have configured in itm_servers.conf, using the userid and password configured, and presumably does something like a wdmlseng to find out what ITM Resource Models (RMs) are distributed to what Endpoints (not sure that these RMs actually have to be active or anything....). I have added a line in itm_attributes.conf with:
Standard_ITM| ^DMX.*$
This picks up any standard Unix resource models and itmquery shows that the appropriate endpoints are indeed running the appropriate RMs.

The last part of the comments in itm_attributes.conf is where I really lose it! It says that if you want to take the next step and have servmon automatically set a capability...... set up a line like this..... I have added a line in servmon.conf to match my itm_attributes.conf:
isStandard_ITM|Standard_ITM|Standard_ITM|Standard_ITM_Label|/usr/OV/jars/nv_itm.jar@com.tivoli.netview.itm.servmon.DiscoveryMonitor||*|0

This sample line in itm_attributes.conf, which is pretty well a duplicate of the lines provided for WAS, DB2 and MQ in servmon.conf, ONLY creates an attribute field and runs a discovery Java script. No SmartSet is created; no status checking is done. The comments in itm_attributes.conf rather coyly say that servmon does NOT automatically create a smartset for service attributes. My experience having tried an entry that DOES specify a Smartset and SmartSet label is that creation of such a smartset is actively prevented!! If you do manually create a SmartSet using the SmartSet editor in Unix, based on isStandard_ITM=TRUE, then you get a SmartSet but you certainly don't get a service icon at the interface level. So far, I have totally failed to manually create such a SmartSet with my NetView on Windows!

What is the point of this thing if you cannot create SmartSets and you cannot do periodic status monitoring??????

There is no documantation (that I have found) for these Java scripts that servmon uses for discovery - I hate "black box" stuff with no information!

Anyone else got more information????

Cheers,
Jane

Tel: +44 (0)1628 782565