Re: [nv-l] Cisco 2500 routers and NetView

To: nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com
Subject: Re: [nv-l] Cisco 2500 routers and NetView
From: John M Gatrell <John.Gatrell@uk.ibm.com>
Date: Mon, 12 Jan 2004 13:03:00 +0000
Delivery-date: Mon, 12 Jan 2004 13:14:36 +0000
Sender: owner-nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com

  I can see 5 Cisco 2500's on my Linux NetView.  No problems monitoring them at all.
When I do have problems, it's usually caused by a file transfer saturating a wan link.

Suggestions:
1.  Check any wan links between you and the cisco's, and make sure
they are not running at over 70% util.
2.  Check for 'ifErrors' > 10% on the wan interfaces.
3.  To help snmp traps get through, on the Cisco's make sure the source address for snmp is either
     a). A loopback address
     or b). The address of the nearest interface to Netview.
    In other words if you are monitoring via Serial0
     you don't want to be dependant on Ethernet1 being working.
    The command is something like 'snmp-server trap-source Serial0'
4.  Around the time of the fault try an extended ping test, (lots of large packets)
    on linux it would be
    ping -c 50 -s 1450 192.168.0.1
    or whatever the ip address is that your interested in.
5. Under Netview/Options/Snmp Configuration/ make sure the Default Timeout is at least 6 seconds.
    Alternatively set a specific timeout for each of your 2500's.  If this value is too small, then snmp
    poll replies can get missed if they are stuck behind a large packet on a wan link.

John Gatrell
RMSC - IBM Remote Managed Services Centre Tel: 0870-010-6284

NV 7.1.3 FP 1 RH Linux 7.2

I have a lot of old Cisco 25xx routers in my network. There are plans to
replace these older devices this year but not until much later in the year.
I poll all of my routers via SNMP.  I see a lot of missed SNMP queries of
these routers. This causes NetView to report the router down when it is in
fact still reachable.  I was wondering if anyone on the list has
experienced this of has any suggestions on how to better monitor older
Cisco routers.

Thanks
Alan E. Hennis