Re: [nv-l] Mib2trap alcatel AOS devices

To: nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com
Subject: Re: [nv-l] Mib2trap alcatel AOS devices
From: James Shanks <jshanks@us.ibm.com>
Date: Tue, 13 Jan 2004 12:23:50 -0500
Delivery-date: Tue, 13 Jan 2004 17:34:40 +0000
Sender: owner-nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com

You are laboring under some kind of misapprehension here.
xnmloadmib2 and mib2trap use exactly the same code. If you can load your V2 MIB with xnmloadmib2, then mib2trap can parse it. So if you are getting mib2trap errors, then there is another issue there. Perhaps the error is that some prior definition is missing? We can help you get around that, if that's it. But no one can advise you unless you tell us all what MIBs you tried and exactly what error messages you received as a result.

Any time a trap has no configuration in trapd.conf you will get the "no fmt found" message. You need not do anything to get it.
When you do, it will tell you exactly what you have to do to avoid it in the future. It gives you the enterprise id, and the specific and generic ids you need to create your definition with xnmtrap, and it lists all the variables, so you can choose which ones are meaningful and which ones you want to display. Even with mib2trap, most users modify the default definition that mib2trap provides because it is clumsy and just displays everything, in exactly the same fashion as the "no fmt found" message. So using one rather than the other is often not much of a help.

If you configure just the enterprise id, you will still get "no fmt found" because the specific traps are missing. The only way around that completely is to define a single enterprise default trap. You can do with xnmtrap as well. Pull down the box which usually says "generic" and select the default value "-1" instead. Then trapd will use the same format for all traps for this enterprise, if that is what you want.

James Shanks
Level 3 Support for Tivoli NetView for UNIX and Windows
Tivoli Software / IBM Software Group
Inactive hide details for "Christopher J Petrina" <cjp8@meadwestvaco.com>"Christopher J Petrina" <cjp8@meadwestvaco.com>

          "Christopher J Petrina" <cjp8@meadwestvaco.com>
          Sent by: owner-nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com