Re: [nv-l] discovery and limiting discovery

To: nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com
Subject: Re: [nv-l] discovery and limiting discovery
From: Leslie Clark <lclark@us.ibm.com>
Date: Fri, 16 Jan 2004 09:31:17 -0500
Delivery-date: Fri, 16 Jan 2004 14:46:32 +0000
Sender: owner-nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com

Well, in earlier releases I would have said to unmanage the networks that house the interfaces you don't care about. But in V7, probably to help with RFI, I think it is pickier about attaching things to unmanaged networks so I usually keep all networks managed and just unmanage the interfaces.

I recommend making an effort to deal with these always-red interfaces rather than ignoring them. If they are up but unpingable, switch that device to snmp status polling. If it is a routing problem, get it corrected.  If it is an old, unused interface, get it deconfigured. That is part of the cleanup of the real network that all customers should do after discovery, and the information Netview provides in this area is the single biggest benefit of installing the product. When you are done, there will always be a few things that you cannot address, maybe because your company does not own the device. For that shorter  (we hope) list of cases, then unmanage is the right thing to do. I then make a smartset of those interfaces so I easily re-unmanage them, since they will get managed from time to time as you are messing with the map.

An easy way to do this when they are all over the map:
Unmanage them manually
Locate ..objects by symbol status.. Unmanaged
View..Hightlights..Select Highlights  (now all unmanaged stuff is selected)
Now make a smartset (UnmanageThese) of type Object List
Add from map
Remove anything from the list you did not want in there, and save it.

That smartset is for after discovery. If you have a more general rule as to what is to be unmanaged, you could make a dynamic smartset of interfaces with the addresses you need to unmanage. Make sure you include in the criteria some field that proves the thing is actually in the map, however. It is a bad idea to allow smartsets to give _expression_ to objects that are not otherwise in the map. It can lead to delete/rediscover problems.

Detroit

Jane Curry <jane.curry@skills-1st.co.uk>
Sent by: owner-nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com

01/16/2004 06:07 AM