RE: [nv-l] Simulating node/interface up/down events

To: nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com
Subject: RE: [nv-l] Simulating node/interface up/down events
From: colin.walls@barclays.co.uk
Date: Thu, 22 Jan 2004 08:27:18 -0000
Delivery-date: Thu, 22 Jan 2004 08:53:36 +0000
Sender: owner-nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com
> I'm a little confused by the trap generation harness script you have
> supplied as it doesn't seem to have enough parameters.Both
> Node up/down
> events and Interface up/down events should both have 8 varbinds.

The node up/down script was put in some while ago (under NV 5 I believe),
and hasn't been changed. Hence the reason for so few parameters.

> The next question is whether your NetView can really "see"
> any of these nodes / interfaces?  I assume not?

No, it can't. We can't see any of the network infrastructure. Only BT can
using their network management software.

> Is this just a TRAP system that forwards events to TEC for correlation?

Yes

> Check the NV 7.1.3 Release Notes for info on varbinds 7 and 8
> (page 13).

Will do.

Internet communications are not secure and therefore the Barclays Group
does not accept legal responsibility for the contents of this message.
Although the Barclays Group operates anti-virus programmes, it does not
accept responsibility for any damage whatsoever that is caused by
viruses being passed.  Any views or opinions presented are solely those
of the author and do not necessarily represent those of the Barclays
Group.  Replies to this email may be monitored by the Barclays Group
for operational or business reasons.