Re: [nv-l] Simulating node/interface up/down events

To: nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com
Subject: Re: [nv-l] Simulating node/interface up/down events
From: Paul <pstroud@bellsouth.net>
Date: Fri, 23 Jan 2004 10:45:45 -0500
Delivery-date: Fri, 23 Jan 2004 16:15:25 +0000
Sender: owner-nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com
Does trapd not see the parameters, or do you not see the parameters
in the event desk. I would change the event to dump everything to the
trapd.log(ie $*) to see exactly what is coming in with the trap. If nothing is coming in, then its not being sent correctly. Are there
any special characters that may need to be escaped in the
descriptions(a backslash will seriously throw things off). At this point
regardless of what you think you are sending, you should start by
looking at exactly what you are receiving and then work back from
there.

HTH

Paul

colin.walls@barclays.co.uk wrote:

We have outsourced our network to BT, but still wish to retain some elements
of network management so that we can correlate network with system and
application events.

BT have been sending us node up/down events for some while now, we import
these into Netview with no difficulty. We now want them to send us interface
up/down events. We thought that this would simply mean modifying their
script, which sends an SNMP trap, to use specific traps of 58916866/7
instead of 58916864/5. What actually happens is that NV sees parameters with
the node up/down events, but no parameters with interface up/down events.

Stripping the whole thing down we end up with the following shell script
fragment.

snmptrap nvserv101 \
 .1.3.6.1.4.1.2.6.3.1 \
 $AGENT_IP \
 6 $SPECIFIC_TRAP \
 0 \
 .1.3.6.1.4.1.2.6.3.1.1.2.0 Integer 1 \
 .1.3.6.1.4.1.2.6.3.1.1.3.0 Octetstring $AGENT \
 .1.3.6.1.4.1.2.6.3.1.1.4.0 Octetstring $DESCRIPTION

Adding data and database parameters doesn't make any difference. Any clues
as to what we are doing wrong? We are running NV 7.1.3.

--
Dr. Colin Walls
Project Services

Internet communications are not secure and therefore the Barclays Group
does not accept legal responsibility for the contents of this message.
Although the Barclays Group operates anti-virus programmes, it does not
accept responsibility for any damage whatsoever that is caused by
viruses being passed.  Any views or opinions presented are solely those
of the author and do not necessarily represent those of the Barclays
Group.  Replies to this email may be monitored by the Barclays Group
for operational or business reasons.