Re: [nv-l] hostmibd and dpid2

To: nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com
Subject: Re: [nv-l] hostmibd and dpid2
From: "Hendrik Zahn" <hendrik.zahn@de.ibm.com>
Date: Wed, 28 Jan 2004 12:11:32 +0100
Cc: nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com, owner-nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com
Delivery-date: Wed, 28 Jan 2004 11:20:28 +0000
Sender: owner-nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com
Hi Jane,
sorry but I don't have exact informations about these new snmp subagents.

The only what I know is, that the daemons came with a certain ML of AIX 5.1
(believe it was ML02) and were already implemented in plain AIX 5.2 .
It looks like that the daemons came with the ML but not the man-pages :-(
.
But AIX 5.2 contains man-pages for them.

hostmibd seems to be the only subagent which was added with the ML of
AIX5.1 .
After reading the man pages once again I must say you are right with your
assumption. Hostmibd is a subagent
of dpid2 agent.

Furthermore ... snmpmibd is disabled by  snmpv3_ssw command when you switch
from v3 to V1 and is enabled again backwards.

Please contact the AIX Support or some AIX Specs you know for more
informations.

... or try this htm file (it's of an AIX 5.2 box) ...

(See attached file: hostmibd.htm)

Regards,
Hendrik

                      Jane Curry

                      <jane.curry@skills        To:       nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com

                      -1st.co.uk>               cc:

                      Sent by:                  Subject:  Re: [nv-l] hostmibd
and dpid2
                      owner-nv-l@lists.u

                      s.ibm.com

                      28.01.04 11:35

                      Please respond to

                      nv-l

Hi Hendrik - this is good info!
I have AIX 5.1 ML03 and though I have a /usr/sbin/hostmibd there are no
man pages nor an entry in docsearch.  Typing the command provides a
brief usage statement - but not much!  Suggests it may be based on
DPI??  I don't seem to have aixmibd on my system.  Could you offer more
info on these?

Also, does the new snmpmibd work if you don't have the SNMP V3 version
of the agent with AIX 5.2 - NetView won't support the V3 agent.

Many thanks,
Jane

<nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com>

>                      <bowens@eastman.c        cc:

>                      om>                      Subject:  [nv-l] hostmibd
and dpid2

>                      Sent by:

>                      owner-nv-l@lists.

>                      us.ibm.com

>                      27.01.04 19:50

>                      Please respond to

>                      nv-l

>Do either of these daemons come into play in NetView operation? Thanks.
>
>Blaine Owens
>Eastman Chemical Company
>Phone - (423)-229-3579
>Cell Phone - (423)-292-5360
>Fax - (423)-229-1188
>bowens@eastman.com

Tel: +44 (0)1628 782565
Copyright (c) 2004 Jane Curry <jane.curry@skills-1st.co.uk>.  All rights
reserved.

[ Bottom of Page | Previous Page | Next Page | Contents | Index | Library Home | Legal | Search ]

Commands Reference, Volume 2

hostmibd Daemon

Purpose

Starts the hostmibd dpi2 sub-agent daemon as a background process.

Syntax

hostmibd [-f File] [-d [Level]] [-h Hostname] [-c Community]

Description

The hostmibd command starts the hostmibd dpi2 sub-agent. This command may only be issued by a user with root privileges or by a member of the system group.

The hostmibd daemon complies with the standard Simple Network Management Protocol Distributed Protocl Interface Version 2.0 defined by RFC 1592. It is acting as a dpi2 sub-agent to communicate with the dpi2 agent through dpiPortForTCP.0 (1.3.6.1.4.1.2.2.1.1.1.0) which is defined in RFC1592 section 3.1.

The Management Information Base (MIB) is defined by RFC 1155. The specific MIB variables hostmibd is managing are defined by RFC 1514. The actual MIB variables managed by hostmibd are the following 4 subtrees:

  • hrSystem (1.3.6.1.2.1.25.1)
  • hrStorage (1.3.6.1.2.1.25.2)
  • hrDevice (1.3.6.1.2.1.25.3)
  • hrSWInstalled (1.3.6.1.2.1.25.6)

The hostmibd daemon is normally executed during system startup when /etc/rc.tcpip shell script is called.

The hostmibd daemon should be controlled using the System Resource Controller(SRC). Entering hostmibd at the command line is not recommended.

Use the following SRC commands to manipulate the hostmibd daemon:

startsrc
Starts a subsystem, group of subsystems, or a subserver.
stopsrc
Stops a subsystem, group of subsystems, or a subserver.
refresh
Causes a subsystem or group of subsystems to reread the appropriate configuration file.
lssrc
Gets the status of a subsystem, group of subsystems, or a subserver. If the user issuing the long status form of the lssrc command is not the root user, no community name information is displayed.

Flags

-c Community Use specified community name. If -c flag is not specified, the default community name is 'public'.
-d Level Specifies tracing/debug level. The levels are:
  • 8 = DPI level 1
  • 16 = DPI level 2
  • 32 = Internal level 1
  • 64 = Internal level 2
  • 128 = Internal level 3
Add the numbers for multiple trace levels. The default level is 56 if the -d flag is specified but Level is not specified. If the -d flag is not specified, the default level is 0.
-f File Specifies a non-default configuration file. If the -f flag is not specified, the default configuration file is /etc/hostmibd.conf. See /etc/hostmibd.conf file for information on this file format.
-h Host Send request to specified host. If -h flag is not specified, the default destination host is 'loopback' (127.0.0.1).

Examples

  1. To start the hostmibd daemon, enter a command similar to the following:
    startsrc -s hostmibd -a "-f /tmp/hostmibd.conf"
    This command starts the hostmibd daemon and reads the configuration file from /tmp/hostmibd.conf.
  2. To stop the hostmibd daemon, normally enter:
    stopsrc -s hostmibd
    This command stops the hostmibd daemon. The -s flag specified the subsystem that follows to be stopped.
  3. To get the short status from the hostmbid, enter:
    lssrc -s hostmbid
    This command returns the name of the daemon, the process ID of the daemon, and the state of the daemon (active or inactive).
  4. To get long status from the hostmibd daemon, enter:
    lssrc -ls hostmibd
    If you are the root user, this long form of the status report lists the configuration parameters in /etc/hostmibd.conf.

Files

/etc/hostmibd.conf Defines the configuration parameters for hostmibd command.
/etc/mib.defs Defines the Management Information Base (MIB) variables the SNMP agent and manager should recognize and handle.

Related Information

The snmpdv3 daemon, snmpmibd daemon.

[ Top of Page | Previous Page | Next Page | Contents | Index | Library Home | Legal | Search ]