Re: [nv-l] Unmanaged things

To: nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com
Subject: Re: [nv-l] Unmanaged things
From: Oliver Bruchhaeuser <oliver.bruchhaeuser@de.ibm.com>
Date: Mon, 23 Feb 2004 08:31:15 +0100
Delivery-date: Mon, 23 Feb 2004 07:41:47 +0000
Sender: owner-nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com
as the name says.
NetView (netmon) will discover only your local subnet and will leave other
networks found on the edge routers unmanaged.

Oliver

|         |           "Christopher J   |
|         |           Petrina"         |
|         |           <cjp8@meadwestvac|
|         |           o.com>           |
|         |           owner-nv-l@lists.|
|         |           us.ibm.com       |
|         |           20.02.2004 15:27 |
|         |           nv-l             |

>---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
  |

  |       To:       nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com
                                        |
  |       cc:
                                        |
  |       Subject:  Re: [nv-l] Unmanaged things
                                        |

>---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|

Local Subnets only is what I have setup right now.

     Oliver Bruchhaeuser
     <oliver.bruchhaeuser@de.ibm.com>                 To:
     Sent by: owner-nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com     nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com
                                                      cc:
                                                      Subject:        Re:
     02/20/2004 04:21 AM                      [nv-l] Unmanaged things
     Please respond to nv-l

Christopher,

It depends on the netmon options -X and -A.
serversetup -> netmon -> Range of automatic discovery: Local Subnet Only,
Backbone, All Networks

Oliver

|         |           "Christopher J   |
|         |           Petrina"         |
|         |           <cjp8@meadwestvac|
|         |           o.com>           |
|         |           owner-nv-l@lists.|
|         |           us.ibm.com       |
|         |           19.02.2004 23:18 |
|         |           nv-l             |

>---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|

 |       To:       nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com
|
 |       cc:
|
 |       Subject:  [nv-l] Unmanaged things
|

>---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|

Greetings

Q1:    Why on a fresh discovery with none of the switches in setup
configured to laod something as unmanaged would I find an entire segment
unmanaged.   I was looking through the maps as the devices and segments
were being found, and found 2 segments that were unmanaged since no one
could have manually done this I assume it was generated by netview.  My
question is how did it do this and why?
  I know there is a switch in the serversetup -> config netmon daemon that
says manage objects loaded by loadhost.  We have that set to yes.

Thanks
Chris Petrina